Areille - the Lioness of God

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Do you speak the right language?

At a family brunch on Sunday, my brother started talking about a book he recently read - 'The Five Love languages'. The author describes that there are only five love languages that everyone in the world understands. They are

1. words of affirmation
2. gifts
3. quality time
4. acts of service &
5. physical touch

To express your love to a person, you first need to figure which one of these languages he/she understands. Most people commit the mistake of conversing with their loved one in their own love language, which would be equivalent to speaking Hebrew with me. And so a lot of dysfunctional couples *think* they are putting in a lot of effort(which they probably are), but when the effort isn't the *right* type, it's of no use.

My family after learning this continued on with a fun game. All of us thought of our own love languages for 5 mins and then guessed each others languages. This *game* opened up so many unknowns and in some way I think helped us undertsand each other a little better. I was with my siblings & my parents . . . I have known them for so long, and yet I erred in understanding what would be the most important to them. But once brunch was done, I felt like I knew what to do . . . I had the power to please, to love, and to be loved.

As cheesy as it sounds, this got me thinking of each of my friends, relatives etc. All I wanted to do next was to tell them how much I love them cause I don't think I ever have.

3 Comments:

  • At 7/17/2006 10:55 AM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    This was my first post ever and I had posted this on a seperate link and now that I am deleting that link I am adding the comments from there. This was before I figured how this blogging thing works:

    SternMystic said...

    Great start, I can see that Im gonna be an avid reader of your posts!

    Mine's physical touch, so start telling me how much you love me soon.....

    Areille said...

    ooh words of affirmation . . . thats love to me, baybee! :D

     
  • At 7/17/2006 11:33 AM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    I like this theory! :) I think mine's a little bit of everything! ;) (Greedy, aren't we? :P )

     
  • At 7/17/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    Woorkeri: The author actually says that everyone wants a little bit of everything but each one of us definitely have a primary language. So think think and think again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home