Areille - the Lioness of God

Friday, July 21, 2006

I *love* 601 N. Lamar, Austin, TX

Yes, I really really love the place. I consistently spend an hour or two of my relaxing Sunday evenings here and I look forward to it week after week. This location is the home to the world's largest retailer of natural and organic foods - The Whole Foods Market! And so I have decided to compile a list of things I have noticed and love about the place.

1. As mentioned in a previous post, they acknowledge & encourage you to bring your own bag by offering a 5c discount at checkout.
2. They have an enitre vegan/vegetarian fare section with some delicious kung pao tofu and sauteed edamame.
3. They have a granola selection to die for in their bulk produce aisle. My fav: Cherry Vanilla granola. It's pink and it's yum!
4. They have a gelatos bar which serves vegan chocolate gelato. Its thick, its creamy & umm umm good!
5. They have a juice bar where they use no frozen or sweetened fruits. Its all fresh and made right in front of you. Personal fav: Carrot+Apple+Orange . . . delish!
6. They have a raw foods bar: I have never tried it . . . someday will cross the line. But it sure does make me feel good that I have the option to do so whenever I wish.
7. The people . . . everyone at whole foods looks so healthy! I love the air and the energy of the place. It definitely helps uplift my spirits.
8. The labels in the soup bar spells out every ingredient they have used to prepare the soups. That's a big help to a vegan soup-lover like me. I hate having to confirm and re-confirm that there really isn't any chicken stock in this soup!
9. *Everyone* in the store knows what "vegan" means! In fact I have heard multiple times that more than 50% of their employees are vegetarians or vegans or raw foodists!
10. They have the ultimate wine collection and offer samplers too. They also usually have a wine expert in house which helps a clueless wine lover like me! :)
11. They have a beer alley with beers from all around the world. Now, I wouldn't say that particularly fascinates or attracts me but I like the fact that it's there.
12. They have so many fresh baked breads to choose from.
13. Eggless cookies - choc. chip oatmeal . . . droollll!
14. Lots of inviting colorful organic produce and plenty to sample.
15. They have a bin for recycling used plastic grocery bags.
16. Olive bar: (love the garlic/jalapeno stuffed green olives)
17. It's right in the middle of downtown Austin and still has lots and lots of parking(~900 spots).
18. They have a lovely outdoor seating place were you can sit and sip on your yummy coffee and pretend you are reading a book while you eye all the hotties coming in! :)
19. They sell organic soaps, cosmetics, clothes - I can't afford to buy it all but it just feels good that the place is giving people the option to try and buy!
20. They have fresh peanut /almond/cashew butter making machines.
21. The company originated in Austin.

I think I could go on and on and I might add on later, but for now, this is my tribute to 601 N. Lamar, Austin - the beautiful location of the Whole Foods Market headquarters!

4 Comments:

  • At 7/21/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Charanya said…

    Aahhh...A fellow Whole Foods aficionado...You me and the Node should go hang out there sometime!!

    I loveeeeee their fresh juices!!

    I'm too lazy to head there regularly...but love the fact that there's a smaller version a stone's throw away from my apt!

     
  • At 7/24/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger zaph said…

    but their website claims the address to be 525 N Lamar!

     
  • At 7/24/2006 5:48 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    uh-oh! I think u might be right. I think 601 N. Lamar was their old location! I still love them the same though! :)

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger samurai said…

    I want to see Ciara throw a stone from her apt!

    A: :) Great post and I whole(punintended)heartedly agree about the abundance of hotties in this place. *ummyumm*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home