Areille - the Lioness of God

Monday, July 24, 2006

Dear Lord - Part 1

"Who Moved my Cheese?" I read the book twice on Sunday and only wondered why I hadn't sooner. So much to learn from the 4 little characters, so much more I needed to grow. It took me less than an hour to complete, but contained a life's worth of wisdom. If you haven't read the book, please read it rightaway. This isn't a book review. I just wanted to pen down short fictional stories(loosely based on reality) followed by lessons from the book that I could have applied to the situation and should apply to our lives.

I felt like going to Mozarts. A cup of hot soy vanilla chai next to the cool lake sounded so inviting. I decided to call him for company. Didn't get through. At first I thought, 'Oh maybe he didn't hear the phone ring.' So I waited for him to realise that he had a missed call. An hour went by and then two. 'Oh my! He must have definitely checked his phone by now. I mean it's a cell phone. He must be ignoring me. I wonder if he is upset with me. Maybe it's something I said. Maybe something I did.' I didn' t know what I had done but wished I hadn't done it. My mind raced into all the possible & impossible scenarios. I decide to call again. 'Uh-oh! Voicemail! Should I leave one? Will he think I have called once too many? I don't want to seem pushy' I decide to hang up. Another hour goes by. I begin to cry. I call her cause I knew she would undertsand what I was going through. After all, she has been through the very same multiple times. I sobbed about all that I had thought I had done and wondered why I ever did such a thing. She consoled me well. I mustered up courage and called him again and decided to apologize profusely. Gasp! He picked my call. "Hello?", said a sluggish voice. I cleared my throat and said, "Umm, hi, its me! I had called earlier cause . . . " "Oh shoot!", he screamed,"Its 9pm! Wow, I have been sleeping for the past four and half hours. Man! I had a rough day at work. How am I ever going to fall asleep tonight? Anyway, how you doing dear? Want to meet up for coffee? Mozarts, maybe?" "Oh! Yeah! Sure!" *click*

How many times have each of us been in such a situation? Maybe not to this level or maybe even worse! How many times have we inflicted unnecessary pain on ourselves and then realised that we were fretting about a non-existent situation? But somehow we do this over and over (atleast I do). This brings me to the my first and favorite lesson from the book. We humans always over-complicate and over-analyse the simplest of things. I can't even count the number of times I do this in just one week. Given the time, we can scrutinize, dissect and make a hodgepodge of the simplest of situations. And in return all we get is misery and stress.

Dear Lord, help us keep things simple and clear . . . just how its meant to be.

9 Comments:

  • At 7/25/2006 9:27 AM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    Interesting post, Areille. Me mucho likey, especially the anecdotal reference! :)

    Many of us are analytical by nature and rightfully so. Head over heart, always! (well, most of the time!). That being said, one needs to draw the line with regard to how much you analyze. That is the trick, no?

    But, the bold text maketh sense. Often, we tend to over-anlayze and over-complicate the simplest of things, without letting it just be!

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:48 AM, Blogger samurai said…

    :) A, I can safely say that I dont over analyse but tend to take myself too seriously, at times.

    Great post, didnt know you can be so *profound*. What did you eat for breakfast? huh?

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe matters of the heart are not intuitive like preventable accidents. People go through the same motions for different type of heart-related initiators. After all, it's not something that can be learnt in a classroom. Or maybe every kid should have a mandatory reading of "Who Moved my Cheese?” That might solve all the self-induced vortices of unhappy thoughts in their later lives. Hey, I think you are onto something here. You should start by recommending this to Oprah’s book club. Who knows? You may bring down the American depression quotient by a significant percentage. Wouldn’t that look good on your resume!

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:53 AM, Blogger SternMystic said…

    Loved that book.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    Prasadu, that's the concomittant thought. We do tend to take ourselves and life too seriously at times!

    My, what a day! Awesome thoughts!

    Also, regarding my previous comment: For some people it's head over heart and for others, it's the other way round. To each his own. I am not prescribing one over the other.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 10:10 AM, Blogger zaph said…

    burn dat book!!

    dammit, i luurve to overanalyse, keeps my brain (which incidentally like Marvin's is the size of a planet) occupied. And I like to overcomplicate, helps me get through this boring world.

    bleh! to you all

     
  • At 7/25/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Vinod said…

    well written G.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 1:50 PM, Blogger Charanya said…

    Anonymous...the school I went to...this book WAS in our reading list!!:)....

    A recent palm reading(!) revealed that I tend to let my head rule over my heart most times as well...which is pretty true...and I do it because often I am afraid of making the "wrong" decision...(notice i didn's say it's because I want to make the "right" decision)...i defn need to take it easy sometimes and follow my heart..

    Thought-provoking Areille!!

     
  • At 7/25/2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    Thanks for reading y'all!

    witty: thankoo! You are right, being analytical is a good thing. It often helps us anticipate danger and keeps us on track. But its the over-analysis which gets us into trouble.

    Prasad: Yes! Its the soymilk which gets the wheels turning! ;)

    Anonymous: Who are you?

    Stern: Ditto. I plan to have many more Dear Lord stories using this book as inspiration! In fact I have many bubbling in my head right now! Stay tuned!

    zaph: With a brain the size of yours, you can do whatever you wish. I will be the last to advice you! :)

    vinod: Thank u Thank u!

    ciara: I agree. In matters of money and business, one must use their head. But in terms of relationships, family, love, friends, I think the mind ruins it for a lot of us and the heart should be the way to go.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home