Areille - the Lioness of God

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dear Lord - Part 2

January of 2005: I was living with my brother in his condominium. I had an excellent job and a satisfactory paycheck. I was very fond of my co-workers and the few friends I had made. I was comfortable . . . content . . . . happy! I had a routine going and I loved every moment of it. I would spend my evenings playing with my cat or cooking for my brother or just watching TV. I was in California; I enjoyed the beautiful weather. We had already completed a year of living together with absolutely no fights. He is 7 years older but he gave me all the space I needed and we never meddled in each other's business. He adviced me on boyfriends, my friends, career but at the end of the day, he left all the decision-making to me. What more could I want?

My company wasn't doing too well. I didn't seem to care. It hadn't been doing well ever since I joined. I just figured things would turn. But I was wrong. One day, the CEO was let go and the company announced that in 2 months time 50% of the people would be let go. I felt kind of lost, I didn't like this. I didn't think we deserved this. What did we do wrong? It was unfair. Why should I have to be the one to look for a job all over again?

As the D-day neared, I realised I needed to gear up. I pulled out text books, studied hard. Interviewed mostly around the area. Ofcourse I didn't want to move. But fate had it all differently planned. I interviewed in Austin, got an offer and it was time to make the decision. And ofcourse to spice things up, the deadline to sign my offer was the 30th of March and the lay offs were scheduled for the 31st of March! I spoke to my family, all had their own viewpoints. Me living with my brother was very comforting for my parents. My brother ofcourse loved it coz he hardly ever did any cooking, cleaning or laundry. My brother-in-law, the ambitious one, told me that I must move as it looked like a good career growth opportunity. My sister was torn apart and didn't know what to say. It was definitely one of my toughest decisions till date. I signed the offer and the next day, the director told me I wasn't laid off and that they would promote me if I stayed. But I had made my choice and I wasn't going to look back. I was still scared, worried and a little lost.

Today: Here I am in Austin, a year later and all I can say is that the move was my best decision ever! I love the place, the people, the energy, my friends, and everything else. I thank my stars for placing me here. I love my job and the recognition I get. All those fears I had a year back are long forgotten. It's not that California was bad, but I would have never experienced the Austin fun if I hadn't gotten out of my comfort zone and chosen to move. After all, life in Austin is my new cheese. ;-)

Dear Lord, please give us the power to anticipate change and enjoy it and not fear it. For it's only change which helps us let go of the old . . . and it's only when we let go of the old, we can look out for the new. And, also please help us remember that there is ALWAYS new cheese out there.

4 Comments:

  • At 7/26/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    Somehow, I *knew* this post was coming! :P

    I moved to AUS last year and I think it has been one of my better decisions in life. It's been a fun ride thus far!

    Yes, Austin has a ton of positives. But, at the same time, I know that I will not live here for a long time. Why? Hmm, perhaps that calls for a counter post. :)

    Nevertheless, here's to cheese! (Erm, I mean, Austin!)

     
  • At 7/26/2006 12:26 PM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    More cheese for thought...
    http://realestate.msn.com/Rentals/Articleforbes.aspx?cp-documentid=694846>1=8384

     
  • At 7/27/2006 7:16 AM, Blogger Charanya said…

    When the old cheese gets stale...it is indeed time to find some new cheese....

    A very very BELATED welcome to Austin! It's great havin you here!

    :)

     
  • At 7/31/2006 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think you thanked your b-i-l enough for his sharp foresight!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home