Areille - the Lioness of God

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Salutation to the Dawn

It is 8:30a.m. and I can already say its been a beautiful day. I recently got convinced to sign up for the half-marathon happening in Feb and train with Asha for it. Had to report at Townlake at 6a for our first quality workout session. Sounds crazy to me too, but I succeeded. It was pitch dark when we started running, but after a few laps, I saw something beautiful . . . something so beautiful that it made every second of sleep lost worth it. I saw my first sunrise in Austin. The clouds lightened around the Austin downtown skyline as the sun pushed its way through. Mindblowing background. That scene kept bringing back this poem written by Kalidasa that my Dad used to talk about over and over. He wanted us kids to memorize it and now I see why! Pasting it for the benefit of bloggerkind! ;)

Listen to the salutation to the dawn,

Look to this day for it is life, the very life of life,

In its brief course lie all the verities and realities of our existence.

The bliss of growth, the splendour of beauty,

For yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision,

But today well spent makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well therefore to this day.

Such is the salutation to the dawn.


- Kalidasa

8 Comments:

  • At 8/16/2006 7:25 AM, Blogger Vinod said…

    Kalidasa .. the ultimate blogger! Good Post G. Someday scenes like this will entice me to dump the snooze button.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 7:36 AM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    Every morning, I wake up, clap my hands and say, "Today is going to be a wonderful day!" :)

     
  • At 8/16/2006 7:37 AM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    For a few months, I was on a project in Garden City, KS and had to drive 35 minutes to get to work by 7 am! Kansas flat lands made it possible for me to see some breathtaking sunrises.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger SternMystic said…

    Why are we so obsessed with sunrise? How is it that almost every person finds sunrise beautiful? Are there no genetic variations when it comes to appreciating sunrise/sunset? I guess some chromosomic entities are shared by every human being.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 8:08 AM, Blogger Charanya said…

    Areille....it was FAB running together this morning...and the sunrise was very very pretty...esp on my ride back on Mopac....I'll cy again on Sunday morning!!

     
  • At 8/16/2006 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    add to it a herd of dairy cattle feeding the calves and the immense toot of the steam engine whistle as she chugged her way around the country! As a child I would stare at them fascinated at the dark columns of smoke disappear into the cobalt fo the sky......hmmmmm........urbanisationsucks!

     
  • At 8/16/2006 3:11 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    vinod - u just have to experience it once to get addicted!

    witty - I like the sunrise but wudn't want to be in GC for it. :P

    Mr. Stern- I think u shud post on that! But to tell u the truth, I don't appreciate sunsets too muhc. Its kinda depressing. I love the sun/summer/fire/orange/bright and anything else related.

    Ciara - And the runs will go on! :D

    Anony - *siggh*

     
  • At 8/16/2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    never got achance to read kalidasa. Nice piece or is it peace ?

    - Sbang

     

Post a Comment

<< Home