Areille - the Lioness of God

Friday, December 01, 2006

Got Sleep?

As every weekend approaches(and I truly feel the next one approaching every Sunday evening), I decide that this is the one that I am going to catch up all that lost sleep and with every Monday morning, I realise how unsuccessful I have been.

But I thought this one would be different. I had a 4-day long thanksgiving weekend. I was so sure that this would be that weekend of the year that I would get to sleep and sleep till I slept no more. And guess what ... I averaged around 4 hrs/day!! All I could think of on Monday morning was SLEEP!!! How did I manage this?

It all started when a dear friend suggested that we should run the Turkey trot 5 miler on Thurs morning. I had already committed to dropping another friend to the airport at 6 in the morning. And since I have the whole weekend to catch up on that sleep, why the hell would I sleep early on Wed. night, right?? Thus, wed night - 2 hrs of on and off sleep.

Ran the 5 miles, and wow it was awesome. 9500 ppl running through the UT campus on Thanksgiving morning. Route was all hilly, strenuous and fun! As I completed my run, I told my gal pal, "oh I am definitely going to go home and sleep cause that's what I need". I got home, and with all the rush, how could I rest? I cleaned my house, washed dishes blah blah and before I knew it, it was time to get ready for a dinner invite at a friends place. Got back home past midnight and crashed. Thurs night - 6 hours of sleep.

It's Black Friday. With no alarm, my eyes open at 7! How could it not, I am a shopaholic! I felt wide awake and well rested. The 'happy hormones' must have been doing a good job cause logic tells me I couldn't have been well rested!! Got my comfy gear on and headed to the mall. It was an estrogen fest there and I did manage to bag a few deals. Fri evening was a potluck dinner which I promptly left at 11 cause I was 'tired' and 'needed to sleep'. I could have gone home but no, I couldn't possibly let that happen right? A few calls and I was jamming to some Tamil Hip-hop till 2 in the morning!! Ya ... I know! Anyway, so I slept by 2:30 and guess what? I had my Sat. long run with the half-marathon training group at 7:30! So was up by 6:30a. Thus, Fri night - 4 hours.

Ran another 5 miles on the town lake trail. The weather was beautiful and I felt I could run and run and run! The day brought with it a lot more - lunch with pals, a little of Fight club, first experience at a shooting range (pistols, AK-47, the works!), a pathetic 3 hour Hindi movie ( I could murder Ms. Rai), dinner at Trudys with mexican martinis floating around followed by 3 hours in downtown jumping to some hella good techno music(thank u Vicci for the new playlist). In bed by 3:30 ... up by 9a! sat night - 5.5 hours of sleep.

That is when I realised, I should stop expecting to sleep more on the weekends. In fact, with the amount of activity we sign up to do, it's insane to even think of it. Maybe I should aim on catching up on sleep during the week!! HA! Now that schedule is worthy of a brand new post! :)

2 Comments:

  • At 12/01/2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Charanya said…

    Muahahahahaha....TROT TROT TROT...

    **HAFTA** sleep by 10pm today!!:)

    -Evil Gal Pal

     
  • At 12/04/2006 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The value of sleep incrementally reduces with age, per Bernoulli. But at one point it reaches a plateau after which sleep becomes synonymous with other low-priority activities. Like cutting vegetables, laundry, paying bills and cleaning pets. Mundane activities, but necessary nevertheless. Sorry for not bringing out the bright side in all this, but someone here had to be the official "downer".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home