Areille - the Lioness of God

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Got Clean?

Fresh air, clean roads, clean water, footpaths with no pot holes, airconditioned malls (with the air conditioner actually working), traffic control, no pollution (- be it noise, air, water), electricity!

I am currently on my yearly vacation in India and with each passing day I find new things to add to the list above which I tend to take for granted. In the US, I often forget that I come from a country where the above 'basics' are non-existent and will be non-existent for years and decades to come. Something simple like taking a morning walk outdoors can be compared to a hurdle race. I continuously look down as I don't want to step on that fresh pile of dung or step into that missing slab of stone on the 'footpath' only to have my head bump into some random pole. Ofcourse at the same time, I will be dodging a million people, cows, vehicles and street dogs.

These yearly vacations definitely serve as great eye openers. It reminds us to be thankful for the 'little' things which are priviliges to many. Definitely motivates us to give back a little something to our own Bharat maa and do something for our bhaai bandhoo! Dad always advocated that atleast 10% of your salary must go to charity. Now I know why.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home