Areille - the Lioness of God

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mornings ...

Is waking up every morning this tough for everyone else or is it just me?

Every night I go to bed thinking, "Tomorrow, it's going to be different. I am going to be up early. I am going to try and squeeze in that jog or make it to that gym class. 7 hours is all I need." There are days I even go to bed early thinking, "Okay, I will give my body the 8 hrs or even 9 hrs it needs." But the sun rises, and totally independent of what time I slept, if it isn't time yet when I absolutely HAVE to wake up, I snooze.

What's even more amazing is how my mind calculates this "absolutely have to wake up time" in the few seconds between the time my alarm rings and the moment I decide to snooze. It's based on numerous factors - shower time, what kind of breakfast I want to eat, do I need to take a detour to starbucks, do I have an early morning meeting, is my car out of fuel and a whole lot of other factors. As the first snooze time gets done, it's time to re-calculate. This is when my mind begins to filter out those that can wait till later - "The orange fuel tank light still hasn't come on yet" "Who needs breakfast?" "I don't need to wash my hair today".

With my brain calculating and re-calculating, it's not a wonder why I feel so tired and groggy as I wake up! Last year I was running at 6a. How did that manage to get out of my "absolutely needed factors" and how do I get it back in???

Is waking up in the morning this tough for everyone else or is it just me?

3 Comments:

  • At 8/22/2007 8:59 AM, Blogger Ketaki said…

    It's definitely not just you.
    I 'm sure 99% of the people we both know feel exactly the same, and it doesn't make it any easier still. My eyes are glued shut when the alarm goes off. Unless I have new shoes waiting for me downstairs, it's not easy to get out of bed. Sometimes, I sleep through my whole shower too!
    I know what you mean about washing you hair. I take an hour to do that, and with hair as long as mine, you can forget about drying it completely to look professional at work. Days when I don't "need" to wash my hair are absolutely the better days of my week.
    Sorry for the longest comment. I think I should write a book about it all.

     
  • At 8/22/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Charanya said…

    Waking up in the morning is not really tough for me - I've been an early morning getter-up since I was a kid - so much so that my body automatically comes to life arnd 6:30ish everyday w/o an alarm!! I still love to snooze though - it's psychological - I feel like I am treating myself to extra sleep...for instance if I have to be up at 7, I will purposely set my alarm at 6:30 and snooze...and that last half hr of sleep always feels awesome!! :)

    Please wake up early and start running with me!!! hahaha...

     
  • At 8/26/2007 1:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    What actually surprises me more is those times when I absolutely *have* to get up and manage to do so just minutes before the must-wake-up-time. Even before the alarm has had its share of sadistic pleasure. The subconscious (or perhaps the more mundane body clock) works in quite the mysterious ways.

    And yeah, on regular days its absolutely impossible to get out of bed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home