Areille - the Lioness of God

Monday, February 04, 2008

Grains!

One of my most therapeutic activities is cooking. I love cooking. It definitely works as a stress reliever for me and also makes me feel good when I know exactly what goes into my mouth. Of course, for a diet as restrictive as mine, eating at home turns out to be a much more nutritious and appetizing option. And even though all this is really true ... there are many weeks I go without cooking out of pure laziness and we all know that once you lose track, we need that extra push to get back on. Thus, along with the "gymming regularly" resolution, I also have a "eat more at home" one which I have been doing pretty good with.

Growing up in a desi atmosphere, I mostly ate two kinds of grains - wheat (mainly in the form of chappatis, pizza breads, bread, pasta - mostly processed and not the whole grain kinds) and rice (as itself, idlis, dosas etc. - white rice mostly). But in the past 2 years and probably even more recently, I have been wanting to expand my horizon to more healthier versions of these grains and also, other grains and oh Lord ... there is SO much to try!! In the past month, I have given the following a try and each one has been amazing: Buckwheat Soba noodles, Whole wheat Couscous, Brown Rice, Whole wheat Pasta, Polenta (made from Corn meal), Oat flour chappatis, Corn Tortillas, Black rice!

So if you enjoy cooking, definitely think about expanding your grocery list! It's so much fun and delicious! And do share with me any fun stuff you have tried out ... I love to explore those aisles! :D

8 Comments:

  • At 2/04/2008 6:20 PM, Blogger Ankit said…

    Still no comment!!! I guess everyone is taking a break after the busy last post on WF.....

     
  • At 2/04/2008 8:11 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    lol! it's a well deserved break! :)

     
  • At 2/05/2008 7:48 AM, Blogger Charanya said…

    ok - this has nothing to do with grains, but I have to thank you for introducing me to Horchatas!! (Mexican Rice Milk) I am ADDICTED to this stuff!!! :D

     
  • At 2/05/2008 8:00 AM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    hee hee ... oh it's a grain alright! :) I don't know if you buy the ready made variety ... but you can mix it up at home too. I learnt this at Trader Joe's when I lived in Cali - Mix some Vanilla Rice Milk with a dash of Cinnamon and some Sugar ... and you have your self some yummy Horchata! I like this coz you can choose the rice milk brand you want (they are mostly made from brown rice anyway), and also control the sugar (which I never manage to!) :D

     
  • At 2/06/2008 1:25 PM, Blogger Maddy said…

    Gals!

    Where do I find Horchatas? In any neighborhood grocery OR specialty stores?

     
  • At 2/06/2008 2:29 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    They usually serve it (Horchata) at some Mexican restaurants. I remember the first place I tasted it was at the Mexican fastfood - Baja Fresh! You can buy it in cartons too from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Or can make it yourself like I wrote in my earlier comment! It's yummy!

     
  • At 2/07/2008 10:34 AM, Blogger Charanya said…

    In Austin - we discovered it at Taco Deli - and it's yummalicious!!! Which rice milk brand do you recommend Areille???

     
  • At 2/11/2008 2:20 PM, Blogger Sheeba said…

    And recently I discovered whole wheat fettucine! And if you like the fat laden refined stuff at most Italian places, you can totally make a healthier option yourself with the whole wheat fettucine at home! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home