Areille - the Lioness of God

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Granted

The other day, I was driving home from work and got stuck in traffic. That’s usually the time I let my mind wander… ponder ... get into phillosphical debates with myself. As I drove, I decided to close my one eye and see how easy it is to drive. Driving was okay .. but perception did get messed up. Checking blindspots became close to impossible. As soon as traffic started zooming by, I got startled and opened my closed eye all panicked. You must be wondering .. what the hell was this girl thinking?? Well I have a reason. My dad lost his eye when he was just 3 or 4 years old. He was playing like any other kid and fell onto the pointy ledge that fenced his yard. With a bunch of uneducated elders around him, who didn’t realize the need for immediate medical attention, his one eye was lost forever. Every time I think of this .. I tear up! My poor dad … what he must have gone through! And yet, he was able to bring up a beautiful family, prosper, inspire so many people and live so well inspite of this handicap. A handicap I couldn’t last through for more than a minute. That’s his greatness .. but if it was me … would I have been able to do the same? I don't think so. Then why am I not thankful for having my set of eyes intact? It’s terrible how we take all of this for granted. We don’t spare 2 minutes to thank the Lord for securing our limbs, and not impairing any of our senses, without realizing, all of it can be taken away in just 2 minutes. Must stop taking things for granted. Must be more humble and look at the bigger picture. Life isn’t about wearing the most expensive clothes or getting the biggest diamonds or buying the biggest house … life is about being good, kind, helpful, humble, grateful and compassionate. God, please give us all the strength to cultivate kindness and compassion and not vanity and wastefulness. As a new year begins in my life .. I would like this to be my mantra. Have more thoughts on similar topics to be added on soon!

8 Comments:

  • At 7/25/2009 6:08 PM, Anonymous Abhijit.. said…

    It'ed been a while since u penned down ur thoughts.

    Having said that, this one is a refreshing read! Much of the joy in reading ur blog at times, to me, is how u take a trivial incident or a moment in time, back it up with a context and conclude with well-thought n meaningful reflections.

    Whenever I come across anyone disabled, or even someone temporarily injured as in wearing a cast, I can't help but feel the same way - that one should be utterly grateful for having all the senses intact and being fully-functional. Health truly is wealth, and should not be ever taken as granted.

    Life is truly indeed abt what u said it is!
    Need I say, am looking forward to ur future posts as always :)

     
  • At 7/25/2009 7:58 PM, Blogger Maddy said…

    G3 thats such a wonderful post and so true! We definitely are lucky to have all body parts functioning well but how often do we realize how precious that is? How lucky we are?!
    As Denis Waitley quoted: "I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet."
    I too try to keep that in mind always, thanks for reminding me again. I feel grateful :)

     
  • At 8/04/2009 7:03 PM, Blogger Charanya said…

    I must have met your dad some 3-4 times but have never noticed that about him!! I was always more mesmerized by his wisdom and kindness! :)

    We do tend to take many things for granted in our everyday lives! And so thanks for reminding us all to step back and be grateful for all we have!

     
  • At 8/12/2009 7:51 AM, Blogger Ketaki said…

    Nice!
    This kind of stuff is so fundamental, but it can't be said enough times.
    Looking forward to more.

     
  • At 9/10/2009 7:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9/10/2009 7:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    awesome post G!! It's so true...

    I can totally relate to this. My dad lost an eye due to diabetes and it affected his second eye few years later where he was practically blind for 2-3 months. fortunately, we were able to save his second eye from retina detachment and he was able to see again.

    I stayed with him for 10 days after the surgery and I will never forget it. He was like a kid when he started seeing things again... We had kept a shaving foam can in the bathroom to see how his vision improves everyday. At first he could hardly make out that the can was there... it became better where he could say that there is some object there and soon he recognized the shape and he would ask me, is it like a cylinder shape and when i would say "yes", there was this joy on his face (similar to what kids have when the get an answer right). It was priceless!! Soon, he could identify different colors, small details, writing etc on the can It was phenomenal.

    During that time, I tried the same thing you did (covering my one eye and see how it would feel)... i can't explain it. it was simply terrifying.

    Thanks for posting this. It really reminds you that there far are more important things in life than materialistic stuff.

     
  • At 10/26/2009 5:19 PM, Blogger deesha said…

    Where art thou Areille? I realize "Lost in Love" but "Like the winter needs the spring, you know we need you"

     
  • At 10/27/2009 2:04 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    :) *Flattered* and will not take it for 'granted'!

    Anar ... your comment was SO touching!! Thanks for sharing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home