Areille - the Lioness of God

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Waste

We recently bought a new place and I have been trying to measure how green my thumb is! :) I planted a few tomato plants, bell peppers, chilli peppers and lots of other flowering ones and herbs. I am loving it. It's become a morning routine for me .. wake up and go check on my plants. It's only been 2 months now .. so the excitement is still very new. That being said, a plant grows and changes everyday ... so I am hoping the excitement stays. Anyway, back to the point I was trying to make. About 2 months back .. somewhere late March, I had planted these cherry tomato plants. They flowered pretty soon after that and I could see some beautiful little green cherry tomatoes growing soon after. I was soo excited. I could have my own home grown cherry tomatoes very soon. They were green at first of course .. so I waited a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, the cherry tomatoes were still green!! A little bigger but completely green. After nearly 5 weeks .. somewhere in mid-May - I noticed one change color. Soon after in the 6th week, I had a bowl full of cherry tomatoes. They were red, plump, and extremely juicy and sweet. I swear I could pop them all into my mouth. Yum yum! But seriously ... SIX WEEKS?? It definitely got me thinking of the amount of food we waste. I always knew this .. but it wasn't this impacting. Growing my own has definitely been a growing experience for me too. I realize now that the plant works SO hard to produce that one fruit or vegetable. It works so hard to fill it with nutrition and flavor that we need and like. And it takes us 2 seconds to dump our food into the trash! SO sad. I am as big a culprit here as you are. I don't have as much regard to food as I would like to. I often let veggies rot in my fridge, often serve myself way too much on my plate and then end up leaving it, often .. way too often. But after this 'growing' experience, I think and hope I have become more mindful of 'waste'. Let's buy, take and use only that which we need and nothing in excess. There are many hungry mouths in this world and many hardworking plants. We owe it to both of them to not waste.

7 Comments:

  • At 6/05/2010 8:28 PM, Blogger Maddy said…

    I so agree with you G3. I have seen people buy things in bulk on sale just coz the excitement of getting a good deal is hard to resist but most often, we overbuy and things go to waste.
    My mom used to always remind us while growing up never to waste food and so I try to keep in mind not to over-fill my plate. I'm not perfect and I falter at times too and this post made a great personal reminder for me. Thank You!

     
  • At 6/07/2010 9:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Areille, great to know u r back to blogging..

    Remarkable that ur planting experience brought abt such a thought. Glad u shared it!

    Just y'day night, i bumped across this article - "Real iron chef will make you pay" (http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/real-iron-chef-will-make-you-pay-20100510-uo3p.html)

    Waste not want not...chef Yukako Ichikawa takes an unwavering stance at her Surry Hills restaurant, Wafu..

    Its a cool philosophy!

    Keep blogging :)

     
  • At 6/08/2010 2:11 PM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    Thanks so much for sharing this, Abhijit!! I am floored by what she is accomplishing. I hope you don't mind me sharnig this on fb! :D Love it!

     
  • At 7/13/2010 10:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Cool u had the news I shared up on FB :)

    btw, there was an Oprah show I'd watched a long while back on 'freegans'. Thought I'd pass it on, since i could find the link:

    http://www.oprah.com/world/How-Far-Would-You-Go
    Lisa Ling take viewers inside the world of freegans, people who try to live outside consumer society and search garbage for edible food.

    Its kinda way extreme, but interesting to know abt it at the same time!

     
  • At 7/13/2010 11:45 AM, Blogger Mommy G said…

    Wow , Abhiji! You come up with some great stuff to share. That was definitely another eye opener.

     
  • At 7/28/2010 8:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    U GOTTA read this 'can-u-even-believe-it' article:
    "Why going green won't make you better or save you money"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/16/AR2010071606839.html?hpid=artslot

    Interesting take..

     
  • At 8/29/2010 10:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Areille,

    I recently watched this real creative mockumentary, and thought of sharing it, esp as i remembered ur way earlier post on BYOB initiative by Whole Foods, about avoiding plastic bags:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgh9h2ePYw&feature=player_embedded

     

Post a Comment

<< Home